The (probably-somewhat-boring) Backstory:
My Friends, I have been posessed.
Over the last week, I have been bitten by that nagging-can't-stop-myself-until-it's-finished-doesn't matter-how-many-other-things-are-going-undone madly organizing, cleaning out every nook and cranny bug. Some of you may think this is a good thing - but truly, it's overtaken my life. The things that have pressing importance NOW, have been woefully waylaid. Stupid OCD. However, I will continue to indulge this urge for a few more days since I find it invigorating - besides, removing this invisble weight from my shoulders should help me to do the things that actually HAVE to get done. Bills need paid, I need food..blah, blah... the universe doesn't really care that my drawers were out of order; it cares more if I am making a living.
Tangent aside -- yesterday I tackled my closet. Amidst the pile of giveaways were some gorgeous old sweaters that I just couldn't bear to part with. I found myself online, looking for inspiration to hit - wanting that 'perfect' way to honor them. I found a treasure trove of ideas and thought I'd take the time to share a few with you - won't you share some ideas too in the handy lil comments section?
Enough of my babbling -- on with the results of my recycled sweater projects hunt:
Books that are now on my wishlist:
- Warm Fuzzies: 30 Sweet Felted Projects
- Sweater Surgery: How to Make New Things with Old Sweaters
- Second-Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater
- The Sweater Chop Shop: Sewing One-of-a-kind Creations from Recycled Sweaters
- Sweater Renewal: Felting Knits into New Sweaters and Accessories
- Felted Wool Fashions: Making New Styles from Old Knits
- Refashioned Bags: Upcycle Anything into High-Style Handbags
Turning Sweaters into Functional Home Decor:
- Recycle Sweaters: Make a Throw or Pillow ( I LOVE the throw)
- Make a sweater pillow
- How To Make Fun Recycled Sweater Produce Pillows
- Recycled Sweater Basket
- Recycled Sweater Wreath
- Felted Wool Sweater Blanket
- Vickie Howell's Recycled-Sweater Picnic Blanket - Video
- Wool Area Rugs Made from Recycled Sweaters
- Recycle a Sweater into a Chair Cover
- How to Make an Embellished Blanket with Recycled Sweaters
- Beverage Sleeves & Coasters
- 15 Minute Sweater Pillow
- Lights, vases + more!
- Chair Covers
- Recycled Sweater Ornaments
- Winter Sweater Wreath
Fashionable Ways to Re-Use those sweaters:
- Recycled Sweater Coin Purse
- Winter Garden Shibori Scarf
- Ridiculously Easy Felted Sweater Mittens
- 30 minutes to a recycled sweater bag
- Recycled Sweater Overnight Bag
- Recycled Sweater Box Bag
- How to Make Snuggly Slippers from Old Sweaters
- Quick, Easy & Super Cool Bracelets
- Awesome Scarves created from your old sweaters!
- Cute & Warm Winter Caps!
- Remake Old Sweaters into Springy Cardigans!
- Turn a second hand wool sweater into a cute little jumper!
- Katie Kendrick recycled a sweater into a gorgeous hat!
- How-To: Recycled Sweater Wool Jewelry
- Thrift Store Recycled Sweater Tutorial
- Recycled Sweater Vest Bag
- Turn them into Long Johns!
- Upcycled Sweater Boots
- Another Hat project
For our Furbabies:
- How to Make a Cat Bed from an Old Sweater
- How to Make a Recycled Dog Sweater
- How to Make Sweater Dog Toys
- How to Make a Pet Bed from Recycled Sweaters
Cute Ideas Overload:
- Recycled Sweater Book Eating Bookworm
- Cashmere Bunny Tutorial
- Cutie Pies
- Felted Sweater Kitties
- Plush Doll or Valentine
Because One Never Has Enough Supplies:
Eye-Candy & Inspiration Abundance
- Made From Recycled Sweaters Group on Flickr
- Homemade Originals Recycled Sweater Crafts
- More on Flickr
- recycled sweater things to admire
- Inspiration Galore here
- Re-Sweater Blog
I will dutifully keep you posted as I decide the fate of my old sweaters. There is something kind of magical about recycling these, keeping the memories contained in their forms alive - watching them metamorphosis. i dunno. It's a good way to look at life i think too - to take what we once were, and somehow make it all anew.
Beautiful. Just Beautiful.
Chrysti - who is longing to hear all your ideas, see your links & pics of recycled sweater ideas... won't you leave a comment ? Thanks!
P.S. - I keep updating this as I come across cool projects - know of one? Share! and I will add it asap.