Among the questions I am most often asked - is what tools I use to create my images. I have created this page to share with you the actual products I use, positively love and abso-friggin-lutely swear by. However, it stands to be noted that incredible images can be created on ANY camera - just as a good recipe can be cooked in many kinds of pots. The tools don't make one an artist - the vision, passion and years of trial and error do. Tools can improve the quality, speed of production and all around... just make your life easier. I have included the arsenal of craptacular cameras I used to use - before I met my Canon Mark II DSLR - some of the images I have created, that were my most popular - were done on the otherwise 'bad' cameras.
Don't lose hope if you can't afford the equipment of your dreams yet - work towards it and master what you DO have. Chances are, if you can create compelling works with that - you can create with anything.
Most importantly, love what you do and continually try to learn.
Last Updated: 2/8/2012
-- Always, Chrysti
P.S. I'll be compiling a separate list of what I use for iPhonography, I'll link to it from here once I do!
- My Main Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II -It is my baby. I love it. I love it. I love it.
- Back-Up Camera: (aka my guy's cam) - Canon EOS 7D
- *My Main Point-n-Shoot Camera: Olympus Pen E-PM1
- My Old DSLR: Olympus Evolt E510 10MP Digital SLR
- My Old Point-n-Shoot: Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5 I
My other old digi cams aren't worth linking to!
- Blackbird Fly 35mm TLR Twin Lens Reflex Camera
- Holga 144120 120N Plastic Camera - my favorite film camera these days
- SuperHeadz: White Slim Angel (Wide Angle Lens) Camera
- Canon ELPH 260 APS Camera
- For TTV's : Vintage Kodak Duaflex's
- Polaroid One600 Ultra Instant Camera
- Polaroid Spectra System SE
- Polaroid Colorpack II Camera
- Polaroid Autofocus 660 Land Camera
- Lomography Action Sampler
- FUJIFILM FP-100C 3.25 X 4.25 Inches Professional Instant Color Film (for the polaroid colorpak)
- Lomography Black & White 100 ISO Negative 120mm Film
- I use expired 35mm film whenever I can (search ebay for it + beg friends & family)
Lenses + Lens Accessories:
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens -my most used lens, it kinda rocks my world
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Standard Zoom Lens -my guy's most used lens - i'm always trying to steal it
- Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens
* Lensbaby Creative Effects Kit for Canon EF Mount Digital SLRs -omgosh is this awesome!!
- (no longer use) Original Lensbaby Olympus E1 Mount SLR Camera Lens
- (no longer use) Opteka HD² 0.20X Professional Super AF Fisheye Lens for Olympus
- Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Telephoto Macro ED Lens - amazing lens, but no longer use
- Tiffen 58mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit
- Tiffen 58mm Neutral Density 0.6 Filter
- Macro Extension Tube Kit Compatible with Canon Cameras
- Tiffen 6 Pocket Filter Pouch
- Sakar 52mm Close-Up Filter Set
- Tiffen 52mm Color Graduated Neutral Density 0.6 Filter
- Canon ET65III Lens Hood for Canon SLR Lens
- Canon ES71II Lens Hood for EF 50mm f/1.4 SLR Lens
- Joby GP3 Gorillapod SLR-Zoom Flexible Tripod
- BENRO B SERIES Ballhead B-1
- Benro A1580F Classic Tripod with Aluminum Flip Lock Legs
- Olympus FL-36R Electronic Flash for Olympus Digital SLR Cameras - works with my canon too!
- Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector
- Celestron 21061 AstroMaster 70 AZ Refractor Telescope
- Opteka T-Mount Adapter for Canon
- Celestron T Adapter/Barlow 1.25 Universal
At Home Scanners + Printers:
- Epson Perfection V350 Photo Scanner -My Main Scanner + Film Scanner
- Epson Stylus NX625 Color InkJet All-in-One -My Scanner Back-Up + Inkjet Printer combo
External Hard Drives & Storage:
- SanDisk 32 GB Compact Flash Memory Card
- Seagate FreeAgent STAA500101 GoFlex Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive
- Western Digital My Book Essential 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
Stand Alone Software:
- Adobe Photoshop CS4 - use most often
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3- can't live without it
- Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 - easier interface to use than photoshop
- Paint Shop Pro Photo X3 - oddly, I use X2 more
- Photomatix Pro
- The ReName - FREE! Makes it super easy to rename mass amounts of files, which naturally makes me gush over it.
- Filters Unlimited -don't use this often these days
- Totally Rad Dirty Pictures
- Topaz Complete Plug-In Bundle for Photoshop
Photoshop Actions: (currently working on the complete list)
I have thousands of actions... thousands upon thousands. I've listed a few of the ones I use most often + find the most valuable below.
- Al Ward's Photoshop Productivity Toolkit: Over 600 Time-Saving Actions
- * Nichole Van Actions
- Coffeeshop Free Action Sets
- Florabella Actions
Lightroom Presets: (currently working on the complete list)
Textures: (currently working on the complete list)
- Jo Totes Betsy Bag in black -my everyday camera bag, couldn't be happier with it!
- Jill-E Medium Chocolate Suede Camera Bag -when i need to carry more gear
- Jill-E Large Suede Rolling Camera Bag -when i travel
- Lowepro Exchange Camera Messenger Bag -my i'm-going-in-the-woods-and-don't-care-if-it-gets-dirty-bag
- Olympus Premium Carrying Case for Olympus PEN Cameras with Wrist Strap
- Quick Release Camera Strap - Lolli Dot in Gray with minky lining
- Quilted Camera Strap Cover Slipcover with Extra Padding
- Black Rapid RS-5 Camera Strap - my guy swears by this, but it isn't pretty enough for me!
Camera Cleaning Stuff:
- Alpine Innovations Spudz Microfiber Cloth
- LensPEN Lens Cleaning System - so convenient!
- Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black
- Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cloths Wipes - can't live without 'em
- Carson Optical super-soft microfiber lens cloth
- Purosol All Natural Lens Cleaner 4oz. - i won't use anything else on my expensive lenses
Photog Books I Learned Lots From:
- Digital Photography: Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks
- * Digital Expressions: Creating Digital Art with Adobe Photoshop Elements
- High Dynamic Range Digital Photography For Dummies
- Rethinking Digital Photography: Making & Using Traditional & Contemporary Photo Tools
- The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers
Photography Book I Think You'll Learn Lots From:
- Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- Creative Landscapes: Digital Photography Tips and Techniques
Photography Books That Inspire Me:
- Women Empowered: Inspiring Change in the Emerging World
- The Beauty of Different
- Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
- Drive by Shootings : Photographs by a New York Taxi Driver
- Digital Art Wonderland: Creative Techniques for Inspirational Journaling and Beautiful Blogging
Books I'm Currently Reading/Flipping Through:
- Kevin Kubotas Lighting Notebook: 101 Lighting Styles and Setups for Digital Photographers
Photo Magazines I Subscribe to:
- Dwayne's Photo - i send my special film off to them
* disclosure: if the item is marked with an asterisk - I was given it for free to use, review and/or teach with. all links to amazon are part of the affiliate program. read this page for full details on my disclosure policies.